Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Amazon Fresh vs. Jet Grocery/Fresh Food

Amazon Fresh vs. Jet Grocery/Fresh Food



First I will say that I really enjoy grocery shopping. However, life is busy and I also really enjoy Amazon shopping. My current grocery shopping has been online and I wanted to share my experiences using both Amazon Fresh and Jet. I explored other food delivery options but felt Amazon and Jet had the better prices and delivery fees and ease of use.

Amazon Fresh: 30 day trial period then $14.99 a month. Free shipping over $40.
If you grocery shop once a week you spend about $3.75 ($14.99/4) per shipment on a fee.

Jet Grocery/Fresh Food: no monthly fee, $4.95 fresh packaging fee per order, free shipping over $35


Price Comparison:

I started out with all items I wanted to buy in my Amazon cart and then compared to Jet. I ended up with about a third of my items in my Jet cart. Jet had better prices on eggs, meat, and fruit. Amazon had better prices on dairy, baby food, frozen meals, yogurt, veggies, and snacks. 
Jet still wanted to sell you things in bulk, like baby food pouches, whereas on Amazon you can buy a package or buy them individually like at the grocery store.
Jet also offers more coupons but I couldn't use any. New customers can save off the first 3 orders or you could save 20% off $75. 

Product offerings:

I found them to be pretty comparable. Amazon sometimes is out of items (like bananas, but they have organic bananas) and Jet was not out of anything I searched for. I would have been able to get everything on my list from either site.
With jet, the more you add to your cart the more the price drops. Adding more quantity reduces that particular item or even certain items cause this for all items in your cart.
From both sites, all my produce has been very fresh and I am happy with the quality.

Product Packaging:

Amazon fresh sends your items in reusable bags. The bags contain ice packs, dry ice, and necessary cushioning. The bags are easy to carry inside even when a bit heavy as they have straps. When done, just store them away and put them out for your next delivery or call to have them picked up. They fold up or if you want to leave the cushioning inside them you can. Everything has always been delivered cold and damage free (no smushed bread or broken eggs).
Amazon Fresh Packaging

Jet sends large cardboard boxes. LARGE HEAVY BOXES. I could barely carry one in.  I knew I ordered eggs so I had to be careful. The boxes contained the same cushioning as amazon fresh, ice packs, and dry ice. It also contains filler paper. Lots of it. My one large box only had 3 items in it. 
I ordered 4 cartons of eggs. All had broken eggs. Of 4 dozen eggs I salvaged about 8. They were on the bottom of the box. By the time I was done unpacking my two boxes half of my kitchen was full of trash. Am I a recycling center?? Where am I going to put this all?! My husband is going to have a heart attack. 
Jet Packaging

All this packaging for three items

The end result of the jet packaging.


Product Delivery:

Amazon Fresh allows you to choose a day and time range for delivery. You can also choose for it to be left or for an attended delivery where you accept your packages. After you set the time you have time to add to your order. 
Jet Grocery/Fresh food states they will delivery within 1-2 days. You do not have any say in the delivery timing. I got my delivery quickly, as I ordered Monday afternoon and had it by noon on Tuesday. It's winter so it's not like things won't stay cold and I also work at home so this approach doesn't bother me but it's something to consider if you could have your groceries potentially sitting out for a while. 

Customer Service:

My sister had a missing item in her Amazon Fresh delivery and was given almost $20 in credit (credit for product plus additional credit for next purchase).
Jet replied quickly regarding my cracked eggs query and I was given a $5 credit, which is slightly more than I paid. 
Customer service of both I would say is great. I'm not trying to get freebies or going to choose Amazon because they offered more of a credit. I think anyone would just want the cost of the item and both companies delivered quick responses.


Who will I use moving forward?

Amazon Fresh for the win! The amount I saved on food with Jet was offset by paying $4.95 to ship. Ordering at least weekly makes Amazon's monthly shipment less then Jet's delivery fee. Also, the packaging situation with Jet is out of control. The time I will have to spend cleaning this up and possibly driving to a recycling center because it's going to take up my entire trash can is not worth the savings. 


What grocery delivery service do you use? Leave comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment